Our six-week outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program aims to help the recovery of patients who have had cardiac surgery, a cardiac procedure, and those at risk of living with coronary heart disease.
This 6-week outpatient program aims to facilitate recovery from a cardiac event allowing the individual to return to an active and satisfying life and prevent the risk of further cardiac events
It is an organised group program that combines health education, exercise and support for patients recovering from a cardiac event.
We provide each patient is with an individual, supervised exercise program and specific referrals to members of the multi-disciplinary team, where appropriate.
The program includes:
- an initial assessment by a cardiac rehabilitation nurse, physiotherapist and rehabilitation physician
- a customised exercise program supervised by a cardiac physiotherapist
- a comprehensive education program focused on developing an understanding of heart disease, management and prevention of further cardiac events
- expert physiotherapist advice on many aspects of heart disease
- assistance with making healthy lifestyle changes and modifications
- access to an open forum for both patients and support members to ask questions and share experiences.
Our multi-disciplinary team includes a:
- rehabilitation physician
- cardiac rehabilitation nurse
- cardiac physiotherapist
- occupational therapist
The cost of this program is covered by most private health insurance funds. We will complete a health fund check and notify you of any cost involved prior to commencement of the program.
Parking is available at no cost to all patients attending the program.
When: Every Tuesday and Friday for 6 weeks, from 1pm - 3pm
Where: Rehabilitation Gym, Ground Floor, St Vincent’s Private Hospital East Melbourne, 159 Grey Street, East Melbourne..
Most patients are referred to the program while still in hospital. You may also be referred to the program by a surgeon, cardiologist, physician or general practitioner. The program generally commences 2 weeks following discharge from hospital. The Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinator will contact you soon after discharge to organise your initial program assessment.
What to bring
Patients need to bring:
- loose, comfortable clothing and walking shoes
- Anginine spray or tablets if you suffer from angina
- your Cardiocard, which profiles your cardiac history, medications and contains an ECG
- a support family member, friend or relative.
Enquiries and bookings
Tel: 03 9928 6003
Fax: 03 9928 6888
St Vincent’s Private Hospital East Melbourne
159 Grey Street East Melbourne