Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Our Stage 2 outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program aims to help the recovery of patients who have had cardiac surgery, a cardiac procedure, and those at risk of living with coronary heart disease.
This 5-week outpatient program aims to facilitate recovery from a cardiac event allowing the individual to return to an active and satisfying life and prevent the risk of further cardiac events.
The organized group program combines health education, exercise and support for patients recovering from a cardiac event.
We provide each patient with an individual, supervised exercise program and specific referrals to members of the multi-disciplinary team, where appropriate.
The program includes:
- an initial assessment by a cardiac rehabilitation physiotherapist and rehabilitation physician
- a customized exercise program supervised by a specialist cardiac physiotherapist
- comprehensive education sessions focused on developing an understanding of heart disease, management and prevention of further cardiac events
- expert physiotherapist advice on many aspects of heart disease
- assistance with making healthy lifestyle changes and modifications
- an open forum for both patients and support members to ask questions and share experiences
- a discharge assessment, where we measure your progress and help you plan how to maintain healthy changes.
Our multi-disciplinary team includes a:
- rehabilitation physician
- cardiac rehabilitation physiotherapist
- occupational therapist
Most private health insurances cover the full cost of the program. We will complete a health fund check and notify you of any cost involved prior to commencement of the program.
Parking is available at no cost to all patients attending the program.
When: Every Wednesday and Friday for 5 weeks, from 12pm - 2pm
Where: Rehabilitation Gym, Ground Floor, St Vincent’s Private Hospital East Melbourne, 159 Grey Street, East Melbourne.
While still in hospital, the nurses will refer you to the program. A surgeon, cardiologist, physician or general practitioner may also refer you.
The program generally commences 2 weeks following discharge from hospital. The Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinator will contact you soon after discharge to organize your initial program assessment.
What to bring
Patients need to bring:
- loose, comfortable clothing and walking shoes
- Anginine spray or tablets if you suffer from angina
- your Cardiocard, which profiles your cardiac history, medications and contains an ECG
- A support family member, friend or relative.
Enquiries and bookings
Tel: 03 9928 6077
Fax: 03 9928 6888
Cardiac Rehabilitation Brochure
Email referral letter to: SVPEM.DayTherapyInta@svha.org.au
St Vincent’s Private Hospital Day Therapy
St Francis Building
Ground Floor. 166 Gipps St East Melbourne VIC 3002